9.06.2012

Remember

Yesterday when I picked up Hope from school I noticed a few children wandering around the sidewalk looking for their parents or siblings or whomever was supposed to pick them up. It was chaotic with small children running all over, yelling and parents greeting their children or trying to talk to teachers and I realized how easy it would be for someone to grab one of these kids. I always try to be a minute or two early to wait for Hope so she doesn't have to wait for me, but I am sure that sometimes I won't be able to do that for whatever reason.
As we walked away from the school building I asked her, "What would happen if I wasn't there when you came out of your class?"
She responded, "I would look for you." She wasn't getting it.
Finally I told her, "If you don't see me when you come out of the class you need to stand right by the gate until I come get you. And if someone tells you they will help you find me, you say 'No Thanks' and run and tell your teacher. If someone tries to grab you, you bite, kick, scream and yell until they let you go." I still wasn't sure if she had gotten it, so I tried to reinforce it once more during dinner time.
 
Today when I picked up Hope I was a minute late. The kids were scattered around the sidewalk and I was searching for Hope. And then I see her, clinging to the fence looking slightly worried. She saw me as I approached and smiled like her usual sunshine self and we hugged.
I let her know I was proud of her for waiting by the fence and she said, "I remembered what you said to do."
Thank goodness.
I don't ever want to forget the way she looked clinging to that fence. I wish I had the camera with me so I wouldn't ever forget. I told grandma and daddy that Hope was hugging the fence waiting for my arrival, and she insists she wasn't, but hugging the fence is quite alright if it keeps her safe.

No comments: